600 - Environmental Awareness
- Course Number: C600
- Course Title: Environmental Awareness
- Course Level: Core
- IRWA Credits: 8 QEU / CEU
- AQB Credits: Not Applicable
- Prerequisites: Not Applicable
This course provides basic principles of ecology, history of
the environmental movement, a review of federal/state/local environmental
legislation, the right of way professional’s role in the environmental process,
and mitigation of environmental impacts. Participants will become familiar with
environmental issues and problems facing companies and agencies acquiring or
managing real property and rights of way, will learn various environmental
issues and the mitigating measures used to decrease environmental impacts, and
will gain increased awareness of environmental laws, regulations and associated
- New SR/WA: A core course that is required for the RWA certification.
- Industry: A core course that is required in all 4 pathways for the RWP certification.
- Specialist: A required course for the R/W-AMC certification.
- Background on environmental movement history
- Environmental disasters that lead to litigation and/or regulations, environmental legislation
- Environmental documents, environmental impact statement, environmental assessment, findings of no significant impact, categorical exclusion, record of decision
- Environmental compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act, and state and local regulations
- Right of way agent’s role in the environmental process
- Defining environmental awareness, being part of an environmental process, scoping environmental documents, and project planning