230 - Oil and Gas Land Basics & Related Surface Rights Issues
- Course Number: C230
- Course Title: Oil and Gas Land Basics & Related Surface Rights Issues
- Course Level: Intermediate
- IRWA Credits: 8 QEU/ CEU
- AQB Credits: Not Applicable
- Prerequisites: Not Applicable
The oil and gas lease is the base agreement governing the right to own and transport hydrocarbons from, over and across an oil and gas field. This and other related agreements are usually the exclusive domain of the Exploration Landman. You will learn in this course that this need not be the case.
The purpose of this course is to expand the knowledge base of the Right of Way Agent/Surface Landman (and related infrastructure professionals) so that he or she can fully understand (1) the basics of exploration land work and (2) when, where and why the lessee (or their assigns), under the terms of an oil and gas lease, has the right to build pipelines and related facilities for transporting hydrocarbons across an oil and gas lease.
This course is a lecture based in-person classroom learning experience and is one of IRWA’s premier courses for IRWA’s Oil/Gas Pipeline Industry Pathway.
Whether as a primer to understand exploration land work or to expand your talents in the infrastructure/right of way field, this course has significant value, helping to secure IRWA’s purpose of improving the quality of people’s lives through infrastructure development.
- Industry: A required course for the Oil & Gas Pipeline pathway in the RWP program.
- Specialist: An elective for the R/W-AMC and R/W-NAC programs.
In this course, you will:
- Learn and understand the basics of exploration land work.
- Study the responsibilities and necessary knowledge base of a Field Exploration Landman, including the contractual agreements that must be fully understood (i.e. the oil and gas lease and related documents).
- Understand and determine when, where and why the lessee (or their assigns), under the terms of an oil and gas lease, has the right to build pipelines and related facilities for transporting hydrocarbons across an oil and gas lease.
- Examine the surface rights of the oil and gas lessee and how they relate to the responsibilities of Right of Way Agents / Surface Landmen in support of the pipeline industry.
- Apply this new knowledge to practical land and right of way issues in the oil and gas field, including building gathering systems and laterals, gathering system due diligence and gas storage field contractual construction.