803C – Expropriation Law Basics for the Right of Way Professional
- Course Number: C803C
- Course Title: Expropriation Law Basics for the Right of Way Professional - Canadian
- Course Level: Intermediate
- IRWA Credits: 16 QEU / CEU
- AQB Credits: Not Applicable
- Prerequisites: Not Applicable
This course enables participants to gain knowledge of the
purpose of expropriation powers, as an integral part of a project, and understand
the role of the right of way professional from the development of the project, to
the resolution of all compensatory claims resulting from expropriation.
- Generalist: An intermediate course that can be applied towards the ARWP, RWP or SR/WA program.
- Specialist: An elective for the R/W-NAC program.
- Expropriation Law: Historical basis, overview of legislation, comparative analysis of provincial and federal legislation
- Project planning; property acquisition prior to expropriation
- Procedures prior to registration of plan of expropriation
- Procedures subsequent to registration
- Compensation: Overview, historical allowances, intent of legislation, procedures
- Market Value: Definition, highest and best use, approaches to determining market value, additions to market value
- Injurious Affection: Definition, application where no land taken, methods of valuation, set off for betterment
- Disturbance Damages: Special difficulties in relocating, commercial relocation, non-relocation, business loss, damages incurred prior to expropriation
- Interests and Costs
- Deemed Expropriation